Workshop of the artist Almagul Menlibaeva - Contemporary art as a tool for rethinking memory and history
Art Collider - an informal school of the Artcom creative platform with the support of Astana Hub held a workshop by artist Almagul Menlibayeva, “Contemporary art as a tool for rethinking memory and history” (online)
Almagul Menlibayeva is a multimedia artist of contemporary art. Works with multi-channel video, photography, installation.
The main themes of her work are related to social and environmental problems in Central Asia: decolonial rethinking of gender, environmental degradation, Eurasian nomadic cosmology and mythology.
As well as economic and political transformations in the region.
At the workshop Almagul to share the experience of artistic research and practices of working with archival, documentary materials and historical memory.
Almagul lives and works in Berlin and Almaty. Winner of the DARYN and TARLAN prizes, laureate of the KINO der KUNST international prize, holder of the Order of Arts and Literature of France.
Her work has been shown around the world in museums and galleries, as well as countless biennials, including Sydney, Moscow, Gangwon (South Korea) and the upcoming Lahore Biennale, in collaboration with the Sharjah Art Foundation.
Major solo exhibitions:
• "Video at midnight No. 98" in
• "Green, Yellow, Red and Green again", in the TSE gallery, in Astana ", Kazakhstan
• "Transformation", at the Grand Palais, Paris (2016-2017);
• My Silk Road to You, Lexing Art Gallery, Miami, USA (2016);
• "Union of Fire and Water", during the Venice Biennale (2015); • Transoxiana Dreams, Ludwig Forum, Aachen (2014);
• Empire of Remembrance, at the Ethnographic Museum, Warsaw (2013);
• Odd for Wastelands and Gulags, in Kunstraum Innsbruck (2013)
• Research on environmental issues at MoMA PS1, New York, USA.
Venue: Astana Hub, Mangilik El, С4.6, 3rd floor, Media Hall